Things You Didn’t Know
One of my favourite shopping websites, IWantOneOfThose.com also has a rather good section called ‘Things We Didn’t Know’ where witty shoppers have imparted some of their favourite word-nuggets for the rest of us to enjoy. Though the validity of some of the statements may be questionable there’s something a bit special about them nonetheless. Though there’s still a selected ‘Thing’ on the IWOOT homepage the section itself seems to have gone walkabout (I think they’ve changed their site around since I last looked at the ‘Things’ section), but my collection is from a while ago so have yourself a wander through it and see what you think – you never know, you may even learn something!
Featured ‘Things’: (last updated 24/4/12)
- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
- As soon as the currency changeover is complete the phrase “spending a penny” will be replaced by “Euronating”
- American Airlines saved $40,000 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.
- If you need to remember Pi, just count the letters in each word of the sentence: “May I have a large container of coffee?” If you get the coffee and are polite say “Thank you” and get two more decimal places. (3.141592653)
- Bugs Bunny was based on the actor Cary Grant whom Friz Frehling had seen nibbling a carrot at a party.
- Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity they can train Americans to stand at the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.
- An F1 racing car can go upside down in a tunnel at 60 MPH and not fall down coz of its great downforce!
- Only cold coffee helps to sober people up. Hot coffee sends more blood to the stomach to cool it down thus absorbing more alcohol into the bloodstream.
- Press the door close and floor button at the same time and it will go to that floor without stopping along the way. Mostly used by cleaners etc so often found in large hotels and office blocks.